Topics

Help a newbie

marc.mcgarry@...

I am trying to run software packages/components through fossology. If i zip the package folder (with the jar file inside), will this successfully test all of the classes inside?

Hi Marc,

Yes, Fossology will open all compressed
files (zip, tgz, jar, etc.) and scan the contents.
This is done recursively, so that a jar in a zip is also opened and its contents scanned.

--

Nicolas Toussaint
OAB - Orange Applications for Business - Lyon

Thank you.

Michael C. Jaeger

Hello,

your mail raises a few questions, I try to bring a few considerations.

1. „classes“ refers to *.class files? if yes, then this is maybe not the right thing for FOSSology, but maybe for some binary analysis tool (- next generation) or so. class files are usually results of a compiler so they omit source code comments which is where licensing statements are usually in.

2. FOSSology should be able to unpack *.jar files, so no need to zip it, except you would like to upload a set of jar files at once. If fossology cannot look into a jar file, it is a bug (and should be thus put in the issues tracker).

3. what is your point with “test” what are look for exactly?

Kind regards, Michael

I am trying to run software packages/components through fossology. If i zip the package folder (with the jar file inside), will this successfully test all of the classes inside?

Michael C. Jaeger

Hello,

oh interesting, I have not seen your point from your answer, glad that our e-mails crossed.

Kind regards, Michael