Date
Migration to Groups.io complete!

Brendan OSullivan <bosullivan@...>

Greetings FOSSology community!

We are writing to let you know that the migration of your mailing list services to Groups.io is complete. Please be sure to visit https://lists.fossology.org/g/main to overview your current lists and settings. If you’d like to learn more about using Groups.io , please reference their help documentation. If you need assistance with Groups.io, please email helpdesk@... for The Linux Foundation’s helpdesk.

Cheers!
Brendan OSullivan

Helpdesk Analyst

help a noob

geoffrey.n.greene@...

Total noob here, trying to install FOSSology from source (version 3.3.0-43-g1423135)

According to https://github.com/fossology/fossology/wiki/Install-from-Source,

I should run make install as root (after all the other steps)

However when I do, I get:

current dir: '/usr/src/fossology/src'

/usr/bin/install -D -m 644 composer.json composer.lock /usr/local/share/fossology

(cd /usr/local/share/fossology; export COMPOSER_HOME=/dev/null; composer install --no-plugins --no-scripts --no-dev)

Do not run Composer as root/super user! See https://getcomposer.org/root for details

Installing dependencies from lock file

Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set of packages.

 Problem 1

    - Installation request for easyrdf/easyrdf 0.9.1 -> satisfiable by easyrdf/easyrdf[0.9.1].

    - easyrdf/easyrdf 0.9.1 requires ext-mbstring * -> the requested PHP extension mbstring is missing from your system.

  To enable extensions, verify that they are enabled in your .ini files:

    - /etc/php.ini

    - /etc/php.d/curl.ini

    - /etc/php.d/dom.ini

    - /etc/php.d/fileinfo.ini

    - /etc/php.d/json.ini

    - /etc/php.d/pdo.ini

    - /etc/php.d/pdo_pgsql.ini

    - /etc/php.d/pdo_sqlite.ini

    - /etc/php.d/pgsql.ini

    - /etc/php.d/phar.ini

    - /etc/php.d/posix.ini

    - /etc/php.d/sqlite3.ini

    - /etc/php.d/sysvmsg.ini

    - /etc/php.d/sysvsem.ini

    - /etc/php.d/sysvshm.ini

    - /etc/php.d/wddx.ini

    - /etc/php.d/xmlreader.ini

    - /etc/php.d/xmlwriter.ini

    - /etc/php.d/xsl.ini

    - /etc/php.d/zip.ini

  You can also run `php --ini` inside terminal to see which files are used by PHP in CLI mode.

make[1]: *** [composer_install] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/fossology/src'

make: *** [install-src] Error 2

So, I guess the question is what do I need to do to install easyrdf?

Re: help a noob

Maximilian Huber

On Thu, 14. Jun 18:00, Greene (US), Geoffrey N wrote:
- easyrdf/easyrdf 0.9.1 requires ext-mbstring * -> the requested PHP extension mbstring is missing from your system.
You are missing the ext-mbstring package which can maybe be installed via
- `$ apt-get install php7.0-mbstring` or
- `$ yum php-mbstring`

Since you followed the instructions, you should already have all dependencies
installed after running `./utils/fo-installdeps`.
Which OS do you use? Maybe it is not fully supported by the script.

Best regards
Maximilian

--
Maximilian Huber * maximilian.huber@... * +49-174-3410223
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring

Re: help a noob

Greene (US), Geoffrey N <geoffrey.n.greene@...>

Yup it was php-mbstring.  I just had to do a yum install on it.  That was the only package missing.  Maybe just that one is missing from the installdeps script ( I was using centOS)

Then I realized my php is too old.  I thought I'll try the docker image instead... upgrading my php will be a pain...

Prepare for more questions from me tho... my first attempt at the docker image revealed a crashing scheduler...  I'll work that tomorrow.

On Thu, 14. Jun 18:00, Greene (US), Geoffrey N wrote:
>     - easyrdf/easyrdf 0.9.1 requires ext-mbstring * -> the requested PHP extension mbstring is missing from your system.

You are missing the ext-mbstring package which can maybe be installed via
- `$ apt-get install php7.0-mbstring` or
- `$ yum php-mbstring`

Since you followed the instructions, you should already have all dependencies
installed after running `./utils/fo-installdeps`.
Which OS do you use? Maybe it is not fully supported by the script.

Best regards
Maximilian

--
Maximilian Huber * maximilian.huber@... * +49-174-3410223
TNG Technology Consulting GmbH, Betastr. 13a, 85774 Unterföhring
Geschäftsführer: Henrik Klagges, Dr. Robert Dahlke, Gerhard Müller

Re: help a noob

Michael C. Jaeger

Hi Geoffrey,

I am sorry for this experience, I think we do not have enough (any?) persons caring for the CentOS / yum based distros. any help here is much appreciated.

I filed an issue for this:

https://github.com/fossology/fossology/issues/1119

Kind regards, Michael

On 15.06.2018, at 01:31, Greene (US), Geoffrey N <geoffrey.n.greene@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, so CentOS won't work for me (all I'm trying to do is evaluate fossology to see if it will work for my needs, and I don't feel like compiling php from source)

So I installed the docker image. That should just...work...

It doesn't work either. When I upload my source (300GB zipped) nothing happens. It appears that it unzips it, (maybe?) but then it never scans it.

I think the scheduler is busted. When I go to the Scheduler Administration and click on "Status" for the "Scheduler" and hit "Submit it says

Status of the scheduler failed.Connection to the scheduler failed. Is the scheduler running?
socket_connect() failed.
Reason: () Connection refused

This is the docker image...shouldn't it just...work?

FWIW, the banner says:

Version: [unknown], Branch: [master], Commit: [#142313] 2018/06/07 09:45 UTC built @ 2018/06/07 10:07 UTC

Is there a known stable version I should use rather than just docker run -p 8081:80 fossology/fossology ?

Thanks

[...]

Did you try to scan a smaller file ?
I have just tested the basic Docker command you mentionned, and uploaded 326KB tgz archive, and the scan went fine.
I have exactly the same header as you have.

--
Nicolas Toussaint
OAB - Orange Applications for Business - Lyon

[...]

Thank you.

Re: help a noob

Greene (US), Geoffrey N <geoffrey.n.greene@...>

Just uploaded 74 k .zip file. Nothing happened.
My show jobs page now shows 6 jobs waiting.
The scheduler status still shows
[...]

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration, Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law; they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
Thank you.

Re: help a noob

Gaurav Mishra

Hello Geoffrey,

Please restart the scheduler. You can do it by using the running container name and calling exec on it.

To get current container name or id, run: docker container ls
CONTAINER ID IMAGE COMMAND CREATED STATUS PORTS NAMES
0c97ae36577e fossology/fossology "/fossology/docker..." 20 minutes ago Up 5 minutes 8081/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8081->80/tcp hopeful_varahamihira

Then call exec on it with the STDIN attached: docker exec -i -t hopeful_varahamihira /bin/bash
And restart the scheduler with the new terminal: /etc/init.d/fossology restart

There is a problem with the latest tag of docker and scheduler keeps crashing. Please consider using latest release tag 3.3.0 for time being (docker run -p 8081:80 fossology/fossology:3.3.0)?

With best regards,
Gaurav Mishra

Siemens Technology and Services Private Limited
CT RDA DS AA DTS CNP CT
84, Hosur Road
Bengaluru 560100, India
Mobile: +91 9840702660
mailto:@gmishx
www.siemens.co.in/STS

www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife

Registered Office: Plot No. 2, Sector No. 2, Kharghar Node, Navi Mumbai – 410210. Telephone +91 22 39672000. Fax +91 22 27740169. Other Offices: Bangalore, Chennai, Gurgaon, Noida, Pune. Corporate Identity number: U99999MH1986PTC093854

[...]

Flossology bugs: upload and unified report tasks are not executed in vagrant vm

s.mehltretter@...

Hello,

I am new to Flossology and have installed the software using vagrant and Virtualbox. The installation worked fine and I can use a Fossology instance on http://localhost:8081/repo/. In the terminal I got the warning that "    default: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 10.0.2.15. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message".

BUG 1:

The problem is that the unified report only can be downloaded after executing a vagrant reload in the Terminal!

My steps are the following:

1) upload via version control system the project "https://github.com/laravel/framework" (works - see attachement)

2) under the tab "browse" click on the project and select "export unified report"

--> in the job list 29 new jobs show up doing a unified report. ALL of those jobs stay yellow until you type "vagrant reload" in the terminal.

Then you can go to the job list and see blue yellow and gree jobs and you can download the generated report!

By the way, pausing or canceling a job results in the error added in the attachement.

BUG 2:

- if you follow the steps mentioned before and then upload a new project to be analysed, the upload jobs will stay yellow even if you do vagrant reload. I have been waiting for the upload for over 2 hours even if the project is not very big (react js of facebook).

How to handle this bug?

I hope all the screenshow are helpful.

Could you please help me, how to avoid the problem or fix it in the vagrant container?

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,

Stephanie Mehltretter

Re: Flossology bugs: upload and unified report tasks are not executed in vagrant vm

Michael C. Jaeger

Hello,

looks like we have an unfortunate time with the scheduler the past days.

Regarding the apache message: I am not sure if this indicates a serious problem. As far as I know the server name should be set by admin of the machine (in this case your vagrant machine) and if it is not set, then this message arrives.

FOSSology is a server application therefore some admin tasks may be necessary to fully set this up.

It seems like the scheduler crashes and then is not starting again. However the start can be triggered at restart of the machine, so that it is why it returns when you issue vagrant to reprovision

You could do

·         “vagrant ssh” (being in the directory from where you executed the other vagrant commands) to log into the machine directly

·         once logged in, either try to “sudo service fossology graceful-stop” and “sudo service fossology stop” (or “sudo service fossology restart”)

·         see htop or top what it is doing

Any other than that, the scheduler might require an investigation why it is stopping, maybe it is a general error.

Kind regards, Michael

[...]

Yeah, that worked. Thanks!

[...]

Stephanie Mehltretter <s.mehltretter@...>

Hey,
thanks for the answer. Restarting the scheduler as you mentioned help me for the first time. Unfortunately I have to do a more complex license scan until next Thuesday and have to review toe licenses my self and generate a reviewed report out of them. At the moment this is not possible because of the bugs in the scheduler. Would it be possible to produce a bug fix soon?

Thank you so much!
Yours sincerely,
Stephanie

Am 18.06.18 um 14:03 schrieb Michael C. Jaeger:

[...]

maybe soon ready by Anupam:

https://github.com/fossology/fossology/pull/1122

Or, you could try the last release, 3.3.0 where we did not see the errors.

Kind regards, Michael

On 19.06.2018, at 17:02, Stephanie Mehltretter <s.mehltretter@...> wrote:

[...]

3.3.0 worked well when I tried it for eval purposes...

[...]

Fossology, SPDX Packages & Sub Packages

Dear All,

I am having a hard using Fossology to fulfil my needs efficiently.
I would like to share one of the core aspect I am struggling with, and would love to see if some of you are facing the same problems.

My goal is to scan complete products source code, and ultimately produce a report listing all embedded components (libraries, dependencies, etc.), their licenses as well as copyright notices.
Today, I generate SPDX-TV reports with Fossolgy, convert them to XLS format using the SPDX Tools [1], and manually reorganise the file to create a list of components.
I didn't find within Fossology  a way to indicate that, for example, a given directory/file contains the library X, licensed under Y, and copyrighted to Z, and generate the corresponding SPDX report.

Beside, the SPDX specifications seem to allow Packages and Sub-Packages identification [2] that seems to be what I'm looking for.

So my questions are:
- Do you share the need of identifying components / sub-packages within a scanned project ?
- If so, is there a way to achieve this with Fossology, and producing SPDX reports ?
- Can the SPDX [Sub-]Package be used to identify components and their license ?
- ... or is my compliance process totally wrong (should I identify and scan all components separately) ?

Nicolas